Dental Sedation Can Be The Perfect Option
There are a number of reasons why you may opt to have dental sedation in London, and it may be something that your dentist even advises, depending on the nature of the treatment you’re having. Dental sedation may sound daunting, but it can offer a wide range of benefits to patients, especially those who are particularly nervous or have a phobia of the dentist.
What is London Sedation Dentistry?
Here at Harley Street Oral Reconstruction Centre, we offer a number of options, including oral sedation and intravenous sedation to help relieve anxiety and reduce pain and discomfort.
Sedation can sound a bit extreme, especially if it’s not something you’ve experienced, but the truth is that dental sedation is just a way to help you relax through the use of medication. There are a few different types of sedation available, but all are designed to relax your mind so that you can comfortably sit through a procedure without feeling anxious.
In most cases, sedation will be minimal, meaning that you will still be awake and able to fully cooperate with your dentist during your treatment. The big difference is that you will feel calm and relaxed whilst doing so. There are also faster acting more moderate types of dental sedation in London, but your dentist will be able to discuss your options with you during your initial consultation.
Why might you consider dental sedation in London?
Typically, dental sedation is given most to those patients who are highly anxious or fearful of the dentist, but there are other reasons why sedation might be a good idea, including:
- If you have a low pain threshold
- You struggle to sit still in the dentist’s chair
- You struggle with extreme tooth sensitivity
- You have a bad gag reflex
- You’re extremely scared of the dentist
- You need a lot of dental work doing
Depending on how you feel, and the type of dental work you require, your dentist will walk you through the options available, as well as how each works and any side effects you can come to expect.
What Are the Different Types of Dental Sedation Available?
Here at HSORC, we offer a few options to our patients to help them feel relaxed and empowered about the treatment they’re about to undergo. These include:
- Oral sedation – this anxiety-relieving medication is to be taken one hour before your appointment with us. It works to reduce your anxiety, leaving you feeling relaxed, and maybe a little drowsy, but fully awake and aware of what’s going on.
- Intravenous sedation – better suited to patients undergoing a long procedure, IV sedation can be provided throughout treatment to help you feel relaxed and sleepy. IV sedation is typically a little stronger than oral, but you will still be present enough to cooperate with your dentist throughout your treatment.
If your concerns around a trip to the dentist are severe, we also offer general anaesthetic, which means you will be put to sleep for the duration of your treatment, and therefore unaware of what was going on at the time.
If you feel like dental sedation in London may be the best choice for you, we encourage you to get in touch with our team who’d be more than happy to discuss your concerns, and book an appointment at our Harley Street dentist to speak more with one of our dental team.
SCHEDULE A CONSULTATION
To learn more about how we can work together to achieve your goals please contact us.