Laser dentistry involves using focused light beams in order to remove or change small amounts of tissue. Through laser technology we can surgically remove tissue that requires biopsy and perform minimally-invasive treatments that don’t require a scalpel or sutures.
We use the Millennium PerioLase®, which is a Nd:YAG Laser which was specifically developed to treat periodontal disease using LANAP (Laser Assisted New Attachment Procedure). This patented, FDA approved process treats periodontal disease in a minimally invasive procedure that eliminates the need for conventional scalpel and suture surgery.The same procedure may be used to treat Implantitis or infections around implants.
What Are the Benefits of the Millennium PerioLase® Laser?
Dental laser treatments when carried out normally result in a number of benefits, including:
- Less pain
- Less gum recession
- Less bleeding
- Less swelling
- Shorter healing time
- Lower infection risk as the laser sterilises the gums
- Promotes regeneration of supporting gum tissues
- No suturing is required
What Are the Procedures that Benefit from the Millennium Laser?
Treatment For Periodontal Disease
The LANAP PerioLase® eliminates infected tissue from around the tooth root and leaves the healthy tissue relatively untouched. The specific steps are:
- Identifying excessive periodontal pocket depths using a periodontal probe.
- Eliminating bacteria and diseased tissue with the first laser pass.
- Removing root surface tartar loosened by the initial laser pass.
- Killing the bacteria in the periodontal pockets and on the bony tissue.
- Initiating the reattachment of the soft tissue and bone to the cleaner root surface.
- Adjusting the patient’s bite to eliminate bite trauma.
- Attaching new connective tissue and stimulating bone growth.
Treatment for Implantitis
Implantitis occurs when plaque and debris accumulate around implants, causing a loss of supportive bone. This can start from the head of the implant or the crest of the ridge, to the apex of the implant which is embedded in the bone. Applying the same PerioLase® LANAP procedure to the tissue around the implant makes it possible to destroy the bacteria and diseased tissue and, generate new bone and gum tissue and create a healthy environment without damaging the implant. The procedure focuses on eliminating the infection, detoxifying the implant surfaces, regenerating lost tissues and assisting with plaque-control.
PATIENTS WITH EXISTING MEDICAL PROBLEMS
All LANAP procedures can be carried out under local anaesthesia and are beneficial for patients who have existing medical problems which require them to be on anticoagulants, because the technique produces far less bleeding.
SCHEDULE A CONSULTATION
To learn more about how we can work together to achieve your goals please contact us.